I get a lot of slack for some of the things that I do, but there is one particular thing that seems to get me more grief than anything.
My lipstick use.
I, by no means, try to hide my love of makeup. It is fabulous and amazing. I mean, what else gives you the power to change how you look and be playful in a naturally fun, inexpensive, non permanent way? Makeup allows me to one day rock a bold and colorful peacock inspired eye then turn around the next day to something much more demure. I like a lot of things….and I like the option for variety. One makeup item I could never live without: lipstick. I should’ve seen it coming. After all, I was all about stocking up on my Bonne Bell when I was younger, slowly opting for the shinier, brighter ones as time went one.
What most people don’t seem to understand is while I love wearing lipstick, I don’t wear it simply because it looks awesome. There are legit benefits to wearing lipstick, and that is why you will see me wearing it when I run or am doing more active things.
Let’s break down some of those benefits.
1. Did you know lips lack melanin, which helps protect them from UV rays? Because of this you want to make sure your lips aren’t exposed without protection. Wear matte or opaque lipsticks with SPF of 15 or higher to help protect your lips from sun exposure!
2. Lipstick moisturizes your lips. This is singlehandedly THE BIGGEST reason why I wear it all the time. I hate chapped lips. I hate when they feel rough….and this tends to happen when I run, especially in the cold weather. It doesn’t look attractive either. The lipsticks I wear when I run and when I go out in the winter months have some kind of moisturizing additives, like aloe vera and vitamin E.
3. Confidence. That’s right, I said it. Numerous studies have shown that people feel sexier and more confident when wearing lipstick, and I will be real here…even if there wasn’t a study done to state this, I would claim it as a benefit because it is 100% truth, and I feel my one person study should matter.
4. Intensifies your eyes. Regardless of the color of your eyes, lipstick can make the color more intensified and bright. Blues appear bluer, and even dirt brown eyes like mine are more colorful. Don’t believe me? Whip out a fantastic Mac lipstick and take a picture of yourself with lipstick and without. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. Dimitri James, beauty expert and creator of Skinn Cosmetics, states, ” those with blue eyes should try lip shades in rose, pink, bronze, copper, and brown, while hazel eyes should go for violet, plum, fuchsia, and red-violet hues. Green eyes look best with mauve, lavender, plum, burgundy, and wine colors, and brown eyes look best with coral, peach, burgundy, purple, gold-red, nude-beige, and dark blue-red lipsticks.” Thanks, Dimitri!
5. Makes your face look slimmer. Yes, SLIMMER! Color draws the attention to your lips instead of the outline of your face!
6. Better posture. A recent study by L’Oreal showed that women who rock lipstick have better posture because we are stretching to apply it, improving our posture, even if it is only for a split second.
7. Brighter Smile. Lipstick brightens your smile by making your teeth look brighter and whiter depending on the shade you wear. I highly recommend determining your undertones so you can find the best color….you don’t want a frosted or dark color to make your teeth appear yellower than what they are either.
8. FUN! Yes, I am making this my own self diagnosed benefit. Wearing lipstick can instantly brighten your mood, make you happier, and help you have a fun, enjoyable day, and that, my friends, may be the best benefit of them all.
What are my favorites? If I HAD to choose. These would be it. My signature shade that most people identify with me is clearly “So Chaud” by Mac. Unbelievable with its color, staying power, and classic look. In fact, this is the lipstick I choose to wear when I run in the Warrior Dash. That’s right…I jump around and submerge myself in mud, and this bad boy stays put and looking fab. Worth every penny.
My friends who are reading who are terrified of trying new lipsticks…..live a little. Try something new. Two weeks ago I was down in DC and being that my friend Emily and I were visiting another makeup junkie (love you, Ren), we naturally ended up in Sephora. Emily was hesitant to try a bold lip because she was convinced she would look like she was playing dress up and stole her mother’s shoes. After some persuasive debate from Marenda and I, Emily gave into peer pressure, bought the suggested lipstick, and looked absolutely gorgeous. Super proud of her for living on the edge with a funky color, and I am pretty positive she loves it, too.
Lipstick can be your pal f you give it a chance. The best part? If you don’t like it, you can just wipe it off and start again.
Now if only everything was that easy.