I get really angry when people tell me that eating healthy is boring.
Have you met me? Have I ever cooked/baked for you? It’s not boring, friends. I’m on a quest this year to prove to you that you can make delicious, healthy meals that everyone in your family will love.
Last night I made a great make ahead breakfast option and had to share it with you all. I don’t know about you, but I am really a hot mess in the mornings. I wake up, do my routine, but I really don’t consider my brain to be awake until about 10am. By that time I’ve had my cup of coffee and my Shakeology is down the hatch, so I have energy and am no longer who Kyle would refer to as “Morning Katie.” Because of the fact that I move like a total snail in the mornings, I love breakfast items that are quick, easy, and fall into my meal plan.
Introducing to you my “That’s Berry Bananas Oatmeal, Yo”. (If you don’t get the Yo reference, you need to spend some time with my man, Shaun T).
What you need:
-1 cup Steel Cut Oats
-1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
-1 tablespoon cinnamon
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 cup nuts (I use slivered almonds, but choose what you want)
-2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
-1 cup raspberries or blueberries (whatever floats your boat)
-3/4 cup natural maple syrup
How You Make It:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 X 13 pan. I use a coconut oil spray (make healthier choices).
2. Mix together the oats, baking powder, syrup, half of the nuts you have selected, half of the berries, and cinnamon. If you aren’t into Steel Oats (I don’t know how that is possible), you can use straight up old fashioned oats completely, just modify the portions so you have 2 cups of those.
3. Mix egg, milk, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Word to the wise….the vanilla milk truly makes a difference. I don’t suggest using plain jane unsweetened almond milk…it just doesn’t have the same ZING.
4. Spread your oatmeal mixture into the pan. You want to make sure it is even and pressed into the corners.
5. Pour the milk mixture over the flattened oatmeal mixture.
6. Top with your remaining berries and nuts. Slice banana and top as well. I got crazy and tossed a little cinnamon on it, too!
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Be prepared for your house to smell amazing.
Once removed, serve warm or you can refrigerate and reheat when ready.
Let’s go over a couple very important things:
-Prep time is only about 5 minutes, so this is great to make the night before without slaving away in the kitchen.
-This is totally 21 Day Fix Approved. One Serving is 1 Yellow, 1 Purple, and 1 Blue. I did not count the milk/egg because it is divided up into all of the servings, but if you are a stickler, I would probably mark it as 1/8 of a cup or so.
-This is totally customizable. If you are making it for kids that don’t like these berries, make it with something they enjoy. You can use realistically any fruit, and you don’t have to use nuts if you are allergic, hate them, or just want to save your blue container for cheese.
I hope you and your family loves this!