As with anyone, there are weeks in my life that are sub-par. Lately, thanks to all of the impending changes in my life, I feel like I have been skating through the weeks with a serious chip on my shoulder and have been wearing out the grumpy cat frown like nobody’s business. Not this past week though! As I sat down to blog about something that was a rave in my world over the past 7 days, it was obvious that would impossible. After all, I had a five star week and can’t leave anything out!
RAVES OF THE WEEK
1. Much needed time with my original running partner and BFF, Jodi. We have been trying to coordinate a girls weekend together for several months, but due to our ridiculously crazy busy schedules, it has been quite difficult. When Jodi suggested I come up for the 4th of July, I was excited instantly! I get to spend one of my favorite holidays with one of my favorite people? Sign me up! Not only did this mean that I would get to visit the Port Clinton/Lakeside area(neighbors to Put in Bay), but it meant I got to spend a few days relaxing with one of the most important people in my life. During our visit we ran an awesome 5K together where we got attacked by a variety of squirt guns, ate fabulous ice cream, encountered beards that smelled of sandwiches and sweet junk, and celebrated the 4th with a family picnic and late night fireworks on the boat. I couldn’t have asked for a better (or more relaxing) 4th of July. Fortunately, there are many weekends coming up where more Jodi/Katie adventures will occur…including a Zombie Mud Run. I can’t wait!
2. Quality Family Time. It is no secret that since Simongate, which started to unravel this time last year, I have had a very difficult time going to my parents. I used to visit every week or every other week, but rarely did I go any longer without a trip to Leetonia. However, I’ve had a difficult time going back because of some of the anger and resentment that I still harbor. I’ve really been trying to get past this, but it hasn’t been easy, and I’m not sure if I ever really will be able to. Ignoring these feelings, I went straight from Jodi’s at the Bay to my sleepy old hometown for some quiet family time, and it was great! I spent several hours with my Gram talking boys, politics, and soap operas before having an entertaining dinner/shopping trip with my parents. As always, my mom and I had time to enjoy a bottle of wine while watching a chick flick. It was relaxing and peaceful. Special thanks to Desmond for making me laugh nonstop with his crazy blue tulip headpiece.
3. Whitney and I are in this month’s “Akron Life” Magazine! I was really excited that our picture from Nashville was included in this month’s issue. Hello, celebrities. Seems like just yesterday we were running through the city in garbage bags during a torrential downpour.
4. Baby, Baby, Baby! No, I’m not singing Justin Beiber lyrics, I am talking about my little munchkin love, Wesley, the son of my dear friend, Krista. While I was home I was able to be a baby hog at Krista’s pig roast…how could you not with a baby this cute? Even though I loved spending time with the baby, it was great spending time with Krista and her sister Jayla. Also, I greatly enjoyed the pig shaped cookies…and I wish I had stolen a few dozen.
5. The Middle East. I do love me some Middle East, for many, many reasons, and lately I have been learning a lot more about the culture. While I am far from being fluent in the Arabic language, I am happy to now be fluent in the language of the hookah. This past weekend I finally got to try out a hookah for the first time, and I absolutely loved it!
6. My brother bought his first pair of running shoes!!!! I was so excited at this piece of news, I cannot even begin to tell you. As with many people in my life, my brother wasn’t one to jump on the same running bandwagon I had jumped on years ago. While I absolutely love running and talking about it with my dad, my mother and brother never really saw the same enjoyment out of it. However, my mother will be doing her second 5k with me in August (a Color Me Rad run, at that!), and with my brother just starting to embark on running, I am hoping he will participate in the Hot Chocolate Run with me in Columbus in November. Regardless, I am so proud of him and excited for him to find the joy i running that I have.
Even though I have to return to work tomorrow (YUCK), I am happy to say that my few days away from those drama llamas helped me to gain some clarity and rejuvenation that was much needed, and with an exciting few weeks coming up, there is no doubt that I will be on this happiness high for awhile!
I hope you all have a relaxing and happy Sunday!